Earlier you would have to stand in line for hours and spend days waiting for your application for Ration card. But now, one can apply for a Ration card online and also people will get their new ration cards within 30 days of their application.
Delhi became the State in the country to launch an e-ration card service with Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal initiating the scheme. The new facility is expected to curb corruption and increase transparency in the system.
e-ration cards was introduced inorder to bring convenience to the people of the Capital, as the new arrangement would cut down the delays in preparation and delivery to the beneficiaries.
The scheme for linking ration and Aadhaar cards would enable the beneficiaries of Public Distribution System (PDS) to get the cards online from the government’s web portal without hassles.
With the help of e-Ration service, applicants can obtain ration cards and check their costs and food grain availability online. Aadhaar card holders can apply for e-ration cards .This will help end the corrupt practice of holding back rations and ensure cards reach the needy. The Department of Food Supplies and Consumer Affairs website provides eligibility details for the food security plan. This service was first introduced in Delhi. Later this has been followed by the state Govt of Tamil Nadu and elsewhere.
- The applicant’s family should not hold ration card in any other state.
- All the family members should be citizens of India.
- The applicant and his or her family must be cooking and living separately.
- The applicant and their family members must be close relatives.
- The applicant and his or her family members should be an ordinary resident of the state in which he/she has applied.